We noticed that our larger hosts, specifically PoP routers with thousands of interfaces were having intermittent resource graphing. This seemed strange since we have a Scylla backend we are using with NewTS that has gobs of resources. The Horizon server is also fine resource wise, well as it turns out, implementing the REDIS cache for OpenNMS/Horizon makes a world of difference.
In our case we went from ~3600/sec queries against the Scylla cluster to ~450/sec and all graphing gaps went away. Also viewing resource graphs got faster. It would appear that the internal Cache in Horizon may just not be powerful enough and is not very efficient when compared to REDIS.
We’re getting the old paint stripped, the rust sanded down, and has gotten the hood and doors primed. Next up is finishing the roof and then getting everything primed. The paint arrived today, so once she’s primed, she’ll be ready for paint! The front speakers arrive on Thursday and her new rubber stripping for the windshield/windows should be here early next week.
Lots of work on the van in this update, we took off the hood and rear doors, the hood required the most work besides the roof due to the level of rust and neglect.
Lots of sanding was done and paint stripping, we took the drivers side, the hood and the rear doors down to their original primer sealer or bare metal in some spots where necessary.
So far we haven’t spent much money on this project, just a lot of time and effort. We hit the bad paint with 80 grit on the DA sander and then we used a bulk material removal wheel around ~60 grit to pull off the old decals and bad rusty spots on with the grinder.
Lately I’ve been facing an issue where some hosts that are only supposed to be notified after a 10 minute outage, due to them being LTE devices, they drop a lot, and we really don’t need to know about it until they’ve been down for a while, then we can take action.
Well we tried to exclude these from our catch-all nodeDown filter, all our LTE devices are in RFC1918 10.10.X.X space, so we created a filter on our global rule to exclude them:
!(IPADDR IPLIKE 10.10.*.*)
The inverse of this (IPADDR IPLIKE 10.10.*.*) works just fine on our 10m delay filter.
Well it turns out even if you are not monitoring an IP, and that IP exists on the host, it will try and match it. This is a big problem, it means you have to either explicitly list all the IPs that you want to EXCLUDE or, this code needs to be changed to only look at monitored IPs. I think a isManaged filter should be added on the SQL query. At any rate, if you’re hitting mystery notification, that don’t show up in the validate list, that is why.
Paint stripping that is, but not before a little fun with spray paint . We used “aircraft remover” both in brush and spray can form to start stripping the paint down to the primer on one side. It’s a pretty neat and easy process. Either brush or spray the aircraft remover on, wait 20 min while it bubbles up, and use a plastic scraper to remove the paint. Ultimately, she will be sanded down to the bare metal before paint.
Otherwise, some new wipers and washer fluid was purchased and perhaps some cassette deals in the works!
First things first. Changing out the fluids. Added coolant, changed the oil, charged the a/c with Freon and changed the air filter.
She already got one “new“ tire today. When we picked her up from the school district, one of the front tires was already split. Fortunately, there was a tire shop that had a used tire right across the street, so we were able to get that on her to drive her home. I was also able to find another brand new tire at the local Dirt Cheap Store for $33! and that will change out the other pretty bad tire. The other two tires are not as bad, but should also be replaced soon.
Radio works, but the front speakers are blown out. We’ll have to pick up some cassettes to test out the cassette player! Definitely need some old-school Metallica or AC/DC for her.